The key to great boxing is the high-quality and right size of your glove. By your search for Best 16oz Boxing Gloves, we assume that you have already figured out the right size as per your training requirement. 16oz refers to the 16-ounce size which is offered in almost all boxing gloves.
This size generally opts for sparring but boxers who weigh above 165 lbs or have big hands or those who like thick padding also prefer this size. Many boxers prefer heavy gloves for training so that when they wear lighter gloves in fights, they feel lighter and can punch faster and better.
Our Top Picks
BEST 16oz BOXING GLOVES
16oz gloves are heavier and wider because of more padding and are usually used for sparring to protect not only you but also your sparring partner. This size can also be used for pad and heavy bag workouts. It is a sound choice not only because of its fit or safety but also because of technical reasons.
Training with heavier gloves like 16oz makes your fighting experience very convenient because lighter gloves such as 10oz or 12oz are used in competitions, which are lighter and boost your punching speed and power.
However, it is imperative to mention here that getting a wrong-sized glove is very risky when it comes to an intense sport like boxing. Based on our well-versed knowledge of boxing, we suggest that you review boxing gloves’ size guides and make sure that you are making the right choice for you. Once over with the size decision, you need to look for other important factors like quality, comfort, protection, performance, cost, etc.
This is where we can help you with our thorough research and comparison of various 16oz gloves to bring you the ten best 16oz boxing gloves. These are reviewed below with their specifications and pros and cons to enable you to make the perfect buying decision.
|Winning MS600 Training Boxing Gloves||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐|
|Cleto Reyes Hook and Loop Training Gloves||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐|
|Title Gel World Bag Gloves||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐|
|Venum Challenger Boxing Gloves||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐|
|Rival RS1 Ultra Sparring Gloves 2.0||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐|
|Ring to Cage C-17 Boxing Gloves 2.0||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐|
|Everlast Elite Pro Style Training Gloves||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐|
|Ringside Apex Flash Sparring Gloves||⭐⭐⭐⭐|
|Fairtex BGV9 ‘Heavy-Hitter’ Boxing Gloves||⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐|
|Hayabusa S4 Boxing Gloves||⭐⭐⭐⭐|
1. Winning MS600 Training Boxing Gloves 16oz – (Great wrist protection & Durability)
Winning is a very promising name in the boxing world. Their MS600 gloves are made in Japan under strict quality control and speak volumes of the high standard maintained by the brand. They are offered both with Lace-up (MS600) or Velcro (MS600-B) closures in a wide variety of colors. Although expensive, these are worth every penny because of their durability, high-grade leather, compact fit, soft padding and lighter weight.
- Soft padding
- Greater wrist protection
- Durable and comfortable
- Compact fit
- Anti Thumbing Style
- Very lightweight
- Take no time to break-in
- Cannot be afforded by all
- Lace-up closure needs assistance and time
- The gloves have meticulous craftsmanship and the exterior is of extremely fine leather, which is very soft and long-lasting. The reinforced stitching in all stress areas adds to its durability.
- The padding is almost broken-in, soft and is often termed as ‘pillow-like. It provides the best knuckle protection and is also safe for your opponent when you’re sparring.
- The nylon inner lining is very comfortable and moisture-repellent.
- The hand compartment is very compact in design and fits your hands well.
- The thumb stopper feature prevents injuries.
- We prefer lace-up closure over Velcro because the Velcro strap offered in this model is short and wears off after a certain time. Whereas, lace-up allows better fit and wrist protection and hence is more liked by pros. However, they are time-consuming and need assistance to put on or take off.
- They are very fast because of their lightweight and don’t feel like 16 ounces at all.
- These gloves are an ideal choice for boxers with hand injuries or sensitivities.
2. Cleto Reyes Hook and Loop Training Gloves – (Top-Notch padding for protection)
Cleto Reyes is a very reputable brand and is a favorite of many renowned boxers because of its exquisite craftsmanship and performance. Their Hook and Loop closure gloves make to our Best 16oz Boxing Gloves’ list due to the same reason. These gloves are especially ideal for providing the best protection and comfort for hard-hitting and intense training sessions.
- Durable goatskin leather
- Best protection for hard-hitters
- Great ventilation
- Attached thumb avoids injuries
- A snug fit
- Allows easy adjustment and wrist control
- Big hands may face stiffness or size issues
- A bit expensive
- It is handmade in Mexico with a goatskin leather exterior, which is soft and flexible.
- Its water repellent lining prevents any moisture damage and keeps the hand’s slippage free.
- The gloves have a two-inch latex foam padding, which is very long-lasting and gives your knuckles the support they need with excellent shock-absorption ability.
- The attached thumb prevents eye injuries and keeps the thumb from being broken or sprained while training.
- They feature a full hook & loop closure that allows you to have more wrist control. Also, it is more convenient and quick to wear or adjust.
- The gloves are compact and give you a snug fit. However, they are quite stiff to put on especially boxers with big hands who may face difficulty initially.
- They come in a variety of colors and styles.
3. Title Gel World Bag Gloves – (Durable Leather & Great protection)
Title Boxing was established in 1998 and excellently combines combat sports traditions with today’s fastest-growing demands. Their Gel World glove is one of the top-rated Bag gloves due to its unrivaled protection, comfort and durability.
- High-grade leather
- Gel injected lining offers unmatched protection and shock-absorption
- Soft and cool hand pocket
- Exceptional fit
- Easy to operate closure
- Can withstand long and intense sessions
- A bit heavy due to gel presence
- The original leather construction makes it crack-resistant and durable while the inner lining is very soft, cooling and moisture-resistant.
- The multi-layer foam padding gives maximum protection to your hands and knuckles and is ideal for sensitive or injured hands.
- As the name indicates, these gloves have an additional gel lining that effectively cushions the hitter from the punching impact and offers a custom fit for better punching. However, the added gel makes the glove a bit heavier, but that also turns into an advantage when you use lighter weights for competitions.
- The wraparound adjustable wrist strap comes with D-ring and hook-and-loop closure, which is easy to put on and doesn’t loosen up.
- The attached thumb prevents your thumb from slipping or getting injured.
- They come in 4 different options including small, medium, large, and x-large, all having the same 16oz weight.
- They are offered in black, pink, and red colors.
4. Venum Challenger Boxing Gloves – (Durable PU exterior with reinforced palms)
Venum is a very popular brand when it comes to high-quality yet affordable boxing gloves. Their handmade Challenger 2.0 gloves are our pick for the best 16oz boxing gloves because of their exquisite construction and the comfort, protection and durability they offer at a very reasonable price..
- Durable PU exterior with reinforced palms
- Excellent protection and shock-absorption
- Added elastic with Velcro for a better fit
- Size may fell short
- The gloves have an aesthetic look and premium Polyurethane leather exterior, which is very smooth and easy to maintain.
- The reinforced stitching promises durability while the curved anatomical design guarantees performance.
- The triple-layered inner foam offers great comfort, wrist protection and ultimate shock absorption.
- The mesh palm regulates the heat and keeps hands cool.
- The combination of elastic and Velcro closure gives a custom fit and easy to put on/off.
- The thumb is attached to avoid eye-hitting or bending of the thumb while punching.
- Available in various colors to match individual styles.
- They are quite lightweight and are perfect for beginner to intermediate users.
5. Rival RS1 Ultra Sparring Gloves 2.0 – (Provide High-density multi-layered padding)
Rival is a Canadian brand that has gained popularity worldwide within few years of its origin because of its stylish and innovative top-notch products. RS1 Ultra sparring glove 2.0 is the improved version of their famous RS1 model which is the crown jewel of their glove line. These new gloves exude the same quality and performance of RS1 but with a new look, an ultra-resistant exterior and an excellent fit.
- Appealing design and exquisite construction that lasts
- Excellent hand and wrist protection
- Semi-broken in, comfortable and breathable
- Conic cuff provides maximum wrist support
- Unique angled lace gives a tighter fit
- Not everyone can afford
- Will require assistance for taking on/off
- These gloves have a quite appealing look with a super resistant microfiber exterior and double thread stitching which can bear years of abuse.
- The gloves are semi-broken in and give a compact grip.
- They are highly protected with the embodiment of high-density multi-Layered foam padding in all required areas.
- The inner lining is very soft, comfortable and moisture-resistant.
- The tapered cuff design promises a stable wrist and hand without blocking any movement.
- There is a unique Angled Lace-Track in these gloves which is Rival’s signature closure. The crisscrossed lace design gives a new look and pulls down at an angle that allows a tighter fit than conventional lace-up gloves.
6. Ring to Cage C-17 Boxing Gloves 2.0 – (High-Quality Cowhide leather construction)
Ring to Cage C-17 boxing gloves exhibits ‘Winning gloves’ like construction and features but at a lower price. Although C-17 cannot match to the high standard of Winning, their upgraded version 2.0 is still an excellent glove that has the quality and ergonomic features. It comes with more durability, comfort, tapered cuffs, and impact-absorbing padding with thicker nylon lining than its previous model.
- High-quality Cowhide leather construction
- Soft, comfortable and secure
- Allows an ideal fist
- Conic cuff for better wrist support
- Attached straight thumb
- Winning glove’s features in low price
- Higher price for few
- Metallic gold and silver color may fade out
- These ‘Japanese Style’ gloves have a genuine high-grade cowhide leather construction, which stays with you for years.
- The gloves have 1.5” thick layered padding, which is very secure and impact-absorbing.
- The thick inner nylon lining is very comfortable and sweat-absorbent.
- Tapered cuff design gives better wrist protection and fit.
- These gloves have both lace-up or hook and loop closure options for better wrist support.
- The hand compartment allows an ideal fist.
- The gloves take no time to break in.
- The straight thumb is attached to prevent you and your partner (if sparring) from injuries.
- More than 40 colors to choose from, with also the color customization option.
7. Everlast Elite Pro Style Training Gloves – (Practical enough for beginners)
Everlast is an American brand that has been serving the combat world since 1910. Its Elite Pro Style Training Gloves are quite economical and are perfect for beginners to intermediate level boxers. They are ranked among our Best 16 oz Boxing gloves because of their durability, affordability and performance.
- Durable synthetic leather construction
- Enough protection
- A snug fit
- Thumblok technology makes it more secure
- Extremely breathable and moisture-resistant
- Longer cuffs stabilize wrists
- Very Affordable
- Not very padded around knuckles
- Not suitable for intense use
- These are made up of synthetic leather, which can stand the test of time, has a smooth finish and is easy to maintain.
- The double-layer EverShield padding is quite secure and forms a natural fist.
- The thumb lock feature keeps the thumb in the right position and reduces the chances of injuries.
- The gloves have vent holes throughout the palm, which makes them very breathable.
- The EverFresh technology keeps the hands cool while the EverDri technology wicks away all moisture and keeps gloves bacteria-free.
- Cuffs are long enough to stabilize the wrists and are secured by a Hook and Loop closure system for easy adjustment.
- Ideal for light sparring, bag workouts, and mitt work.
8. Ringside Apex Flash – (Perfect for sparring and the heavy bag)
Ringside takes pride in offering a wide range of boxing gloves that cater to everyone’s needs. Their Apex Flash sparring gloves give an ultimate sparring experience because of their high-quality, innovative technology, ergonomics and reasonable price.
- Durable and easy to maintain the exterior
- Innovative and secure IMF padding
- Convenient hook and loop closure
- Maximum wrist support
- Pre-curved hand compartment
- Attached thumb adds security
- Highly breathable and odor-free
- Not original leather
- The gloves are made up of durable and easy-to-maintain synthetic leather.
- The innovative Injected Molded Foam (IMF) technology is far better than the layered foam padding as it enhances the life span of the gloves and makes it more secure, impact-diffusing and comfortable.
- The incorporation of mesh palm along with the anti-bacterial lining provides maximum airflow and reduces bacterial growth.
- The padding forms to the natural hand shape to give a compact comfortable fit and allow a natural fist.
- The hook and loop closure keeps the wrists aligned and tightly secured.
- Attached thumb secures the sparring experience for both you and your partner.
- Wide variety of colors to choose from
9. Fairtex BGV9 ‘Heavy-Hitter’ – (Protective knuckle padding with great wrist support)
Fairtex is a reputable name in the Muay Thai world because of their top-notch gloves with absolute craftsmanship and finesse. Their BGV series has introduced many impressive gloves in the market including BGV9 which are Mexican Style inbuilt and are known as ‘Heavy Hitters’. Handmade in Thailand, they are rightly placed among the best 16oz boxing gloves.
- High-quality durable leather
- Mexican style sleek look and feel
- Exceptional shock absorption and custom fit
- Easy to operate closure
- Wrists stability and protection
- Pre-curved thumb
- Ideal for intense bag punching or mitt work
- Not recommended for sparring
- Premium leather construction and durable stitching enable these to stand the test of time.
- The double layers of high-density latex foam padding are distributed evenly throughout the glove for better performance.
- As the name suggests, these gloves have been designed for intense training sessions. The dense padding absorbs the impact of heavy punching without affecting your hands and wrists.
- The Mexican style built gives it a less bulky look and feel.
- Nylon water-repellent lining keeps the hands moisture-free and prolongs the life of the glove.
- The ergonomic and compact hand compartment provides hand stability and a snug fit.
- Longer cuffs provide unrivaled comfort and wrist support while the Velcro closure saves time and effort.
- Pre-curved thumb help avoids eye and thumb injuries.
10. Hayabusa S4 Boxing Gloves – (Velcro closure with additional splint wrist support)
Hayabusa needs no introduction in the combat world because of its high-quality gloves. Their entry-level S4 gloves possess a unique design, Injection molded foam (IMF) padding, wrist support and economical price that make them one of the best 16oz Boxing gloves.
- Durable and easy to maintain
- IMF padding gives ultimate comfort and protection
- Pre-curved shape allows a natural fist
- Wipe away sweat thumb
- Velcro closure with additional splint wrist support
- Very reasonable price
- Glove’s size runs small for few
- Ergonomically, Hayabusa S4 Boxing Gloves are similar to Hayabusa T3, but with a more basic built.
- Made of premium synthetic leather, S4 gloves are built to beat and last longer.
- The pre-curved design requires no break-in period and aligns with the hand’s shape to allow a natural fist.
- IMF padding protects your knuckles, in addition to a foam splint that supports your wrists to prevent awkward bends.
- The nylon lining and breathable mesh palm keep the hands cool and dry even in high-intensity training.
- The suede-like material on the thumb keeps the thumb dry and helps to wipe away sweat from your face.
- Hook and Loop closure provides a snug fit and wrist stabilization.
- Available in more than eight colors
Q1. Which boxing glove is the best?
This is a very common question with a simple answer that there is not one specific glove that is best of all. Different gloves have different construction and features which make them suitable for different people based on their bone structure, budget, personal preferences and training needs.
Q2. Can you wash the boxing gloves?
The problem with washing your gloves is that your gloves will absorb so much water that it will take ages to dry out completely. Meanwhile, the bacteria can easily grow in the moisture.
Q3. What is the difference between boxing gloves and MMA gloves?
Boxing gloves and MMA gloves are designed with completely different applications in mind. The boxing glove is all covered to provide maximum protection to the hands and wrists while the MMA glove is fingerless so that the fighter can apply different techniques like striking and grappling.
Another difference is the amount of padding each has to offer. Boxing gloves provide far more padding than MMA gloves, which are supposed to be lighter and less padded.
Q4. How long should boxing gloves last?
A good quality boxing glove should last more than 2 years if taken proper care of. It also depends on the frequency of usage.
Q5. Should I use 14 or 16 oz boxing gloves?
Boxing gloves are designed to solely protect the hands from injury during a boxing match. It is always best to buy a pair that is of a size that provides you with enough coverage for your hands.
Q6. Are 16 oz boxing gloves good?
No. 16 oz boxing gloves are not good because they cannot offer you a secure and firm grip. They also don’t provide enough protection for your hands.
You have to consider various factors before making the right choice. One of them is deciding the right size that fits you perfectly, which you have already done (seeing you have selected 16oz size). The next step would be to go through the other factors mentioned below before identifying the Best 16oz Boxing Gloves for you.
The exterior of the Boxing Glove is either original leather (cowhide, goatskin, Buffalo, etc.) or synthetic leather (Microfiber, Vinyl, Polyurethane, etc.). If you are an intermediate to a pro-level boxer or into intense training, you should opt for authentic leather as it is sturdy and durable. However, synthetic leather will also work well if you are on a budget.
Gloves with breathable, soft and anti-bacterial inner lining reduce sweat and bacterial growth.
Since boxing is a dangerous sport, the density and type of padding are very important for your hands and knuckles protection. Many brands use multiple layers of foam for padding while few use additional gel lining or their signature padding.
Different gloves have different padding and you should choose as per your training type and needs. Soft padding is a must for your partner’s safety if sparring. For hitting heavy bags, dense padding with maximum shock-absorption is preferred.
The way a glove is tightened can affect its overall fit and comfort. Velcro or Hook and loop closures are a common preference because they are quick to wear and easy to adjust. Lace closures give you a custom fit as they can be tightened up to your desired fit. However, they are time-consuming and need external help.
Final Thought on Best 16oz Boxing Gloves
When you look at different boxing gloves, they all look almost similar but there are minor details that differentiate them. We have tried our best to put out those small aspects on the table to guide you through your decision. We have listed each glove with its features and pros and cons after thorough research and comparison. Now it’s up to you to find the one that suits your purpose, style, and preferences. However, if you are on a budget, you can check our other reviews of Best Budget Boxing Gloves (under $50) and Best Boxing Gloves under $100 for more options.
Leave a Reply